The 80/20 Rule

By June 17, 2022 blog

Perfect is the enemy of good.

Ok, read that again. Let it sink in.

Now tell me…how many times have you tried for 100% perfection in your nutrition? And how many times have you fallen short just a few days later and told yourself that you blew it and you’ll have to start over again on Monday?

I know I’ve been guilty of this! And it just doesn’t work.

I have a better way! It’s the 80/20 rule.

It’s simple, and you can still eat the foods you love and see progress.

Plan your week using the 80/20 rule by ensuring that 80% of your meals are in line with your nutrition goals. The other 20% of your meals are “anything meals.”

So if you eat 4 meals a day x 7 days a week that’s 28 meals total. Approximately 5 are “anything” meals. An anything meal would include any food that would not be considered nutritionally beneficial or a skipped meals.

Planning and eating this way can not only help you see results, but if you constantly have feelings of guilt then planning for the anything meals can help you change your mindset!

Remember moderation when enjoying your 20%. The 80/20 rule is not an excuse for a free-for-all on your 20%! Have one piece of cake and enjoy it, but skip out on additional servings of dessert. Remember that you have several times to indulge throughout the week, but none of those times should include diving head first into a bag of chips and gallon of ice cream.

If you fear the 80/20 may lead you down that path, then go with 90/10 to be safe! You can also practice 90/10 if you are already following 80/20.

I’d love for you to give the 80/20 rule a shot and let me know how it goes!

If you are looking for some additional guidance with your nutrition and lifestyle, check out my online programs here or my individual coaching program here.