Nutrition for the Holidays (And Everyday!)

By December 3, 2018 blog, Nutrition

 

 

Eating healthy foods can help you maintain your energy, motivation, and mood through the holidays! Here are 5 everyday tips that can really help pull you through this time of year! (And they aren’t about deprivation!)

  1. Use the 80/20 rule. This is especially great for this time of year. If you are able to eat well at least 80% of the time, then you should be able to maintain your current health and fitness level. The remaining 20% should be used with discretion. Use it to enjoy something that you may have only during the holidays or on days when you want to treat yourself. The 80/20 rule should not be applied on a daily basis, but rather weekly. For example, it is more beneficial to eat well 4 days in a row with a treat on day 5 than it is to stick to the plan for 8 hours a day and splurge each night.
  2.  Be Realistic. The holiday season is filled with many temptations and time restraints. Set a goal that is challenging, but attainable. For example, maintaining your current weight or losing 2-5 pounds through December might be a good goal for some. Losing 10 pounds by January 1st may not be an ideal goal for many people during the holiday season. Performance goals are also great this time of year. (I will exercise 2 times per week now through the end of the year or I will do 2 more push-ups by the end of December are both good examples of challenging and reachable goals.)
  3. Plan Ahead. Failing to plan is planning to fail. Making grocery lists, planning what you will take to the holiday party, and packing healthy snacks (and water) for a long day of shopping will go a long way in maintaining fitness during the holidays.
  4. Drink Water. Water helps with energy levels, digestion and hunger. It also has no calories. If you are eating increased calories, the last thing you want to do is add in high calorie drinks like sodas, punches and alcohol. Aim for close to half of your bodyweight in ounces of water per day and try to drink one glass of water first thing each morning.
  5. Don’t skip your workouts, just modify as necessary. If you are short on time, just modify your workouts instead of completely skipping them. Cut back the time and work as hard as you can. Remember, it will benefit you physically and mentally. If you are coming into the studio and aren’t really feeling it be sure to let your coach know – we’ll help you get through it and make sure you have what you need for that workout,